OMG Did you see that outfit?! or What about that verb tense?! Welcome to Grammar Gossip! We are going to teach you all you need to know for the toughest of Spanish Grammar, and we can guarantee an A in your Spanish class because Chelsea and I both have A's. Happy Spanish speaking!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Present Perfect Subjunctive and Present SubjunctiveTenses

Present Perfect Subjunctive and Present Subjunctive Tenses with Doubt
By: Chelsea
Let’s talk about the present and present perfect subjunctive with doubt. People use this tense to set a mood of doubt, uncertainty, or disbelief either about things that are occurring in the present (present subjunctive) or things that have happened in the past (present perfect subjunctive). Personally, I think the present and present perfect subjunctive is a little corny. Why? It reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. To be more specific, this tense reminds me of the over dramatic Juliet. “I doubt that I can live without my burning hunk of love.” Put a can in it Juliet. Even though Juliet provides a good example of the present subjunctive, I still do not like her. She’s too desperate. Come on now, be an independent woman! Anyways, back to the grammar… If you wanted to use this grammar you would need to know how to form it, so I’ll let you in on the secret.

To form the present and present perfect subjunctive you need to use the subjunctive conjugation of the verb haber with a past participle.

“I don’t think that he had liked Juliet.” => “No creo que haya querido Juliet.”

     Haber:

Haya  hayamos

Hayas  Hayáis

Haya  hayan