OMG Did you see that outfit?! or What about that verb tense?! Welcome to Grammar Gossip! We are going to teach you all you need to know for the toughest of Spanish Grammar, and we can guarantee an A in your Spanish class because Chelsea and I both have A's. Happy Spanish speaking!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Imperfect Subjunctive

The Imperfect Subjunctive

I think that if the Imperfect Subjunctive had to be married to any other Spanish tense it would be the Conditional Tense because these two tenses work hand and hand with the situations "If this, then that".
If I was trying to persuade you to give me a cookie yesterday In Spanish or if I just wanted to tell you what my emotions were like in the past and if they contained doubt or uncertainty In Spanish, I would use the Imperfect Subjunctive!!

Are you feeling this tense?
We'll show you how it's formed!
Remember: To form this tense you need to remember the PAST TENSE (preterite) for
“ellos, Uds.” Then just follow the easy pattern (remember there are some irregulars!)

AR VERBS
ara        áramos
aras      
ara        aran

IR/ER VERBS
iera       iéramos
ieras     
iera       ieran

IRREGULAR VERBS
IR-fue
HABER-hubie
PEDIR- pidie
CONSTRUIR-construye

Let's see this tense in action!


I recommended to him that he drinks four glasses of water a day.
(That's right! Let's get a little health tips!)
Yo le recomendé que él bebiera cuatro vasos de agua cada día.


Personally, I think it's cool that now I know how to say that I persuaded someone to give me a cookie yesterday, I mean, what else would anyone want to say?!